W-140 - Methodist Episcopal Church South & United Methodist Church of Weston
Photo Archive Home
Library Contact
Return to W-100B
Weston Overview page
Weston United Methodist Church - W-140-07

In 1968, the name was changed to the Weston United Methodist Church

At one point Weston had a population of more than 1,600 people and there were close to 50 people worshipping on Sundays at the church, but as the town's population dropped to just 700 people, the church had just five or six members worshipping with them regularly. When the church member numbers then dropped to the point they could share a pastor with Milton-Freewater Wesley United Methodist Church,
the congregation decided to turn the old parsonage into a mission project. They have always rented the parsonage out below market value. On Dec. 23, 2017, with nine people gathered, the church celebrated
140 years of service to Weston before parting ways
and closing its doors for Sunday services.
The United Methodist Church of Weston closed its doors on December 23, 2017, and has since become a residence.
W-900-140-1 - 2008 photo by Gildemeister
Weston Methodist Episcopal Church South
The Weston Methodist Episcopal Church South was built in 1878
on Main Street near the east side of the City
W-140-10 - photo courtesy of Robert Dale Lester - 1980
Weston United Methodist Church

       The church was founded in 1877 by a local circuit rider with 11 people who started meeting in one of the member's home. The church building was constructed on East Main Street the following year, and then expanded in 1910 to include Sunday School rooms, a kitchen, bathroom, furnace room, and storage area.