W-120-4 - Weston Public Library
Weston Public Library

       In 1912, Mrs Norah Watts, wife of Dr. Watts, and Mrs. George Proebstel, wife of ex-Senator Proebstel, circulated a petition for a small tax levy to finance a public library in Weston. The levy passed , and the county librarian helped in the library's organization. A tea was given, with admission being one book. Eliza Morrison was the first librarian. Locations varied over the years. Doris Barnes and Mrs. Jim Stanfield were paid librarians while it was housed in the Normal School dormitory. From there , the location moved to Dr. Watts' office on Water Street before the building was moved to its present location on Main Street. The library was enlarged in 1933, and the grounds were lanscaped. In 1955, Margaret Sutherland became the librarian, serving in that capacity for 40 years. She compiled the extensive local history collection, including the current historic photo archive. A Meyer Trust grant in 1995 provided for another expansion of the library, including a deck overlooking Pine Creek. Margaret retired in 1995, with Kathleen Schmidtgall taking over the helm to expand operations into the digital age, and continue with enhancing and expanding the photo archive.

Photo Archive Home
Library Contact
Return to W-100a
Weston Overview page
W-111-4B - Library Interior
Margaret Sutherland
Weston Librarian - 1955-1995
Weston Public Library - 2005
Kathleen Schmidtgall - Weston Librarian